500womenscientists: Working to Empower Women in Science
3 years, 6 months ago
One of the newest organizations we're excited about, the mission of 500 Women Scientists
is to promote a diverse and inclusive scientific community that brings progressive science-based solutions to local and global challenges.
What we love especially are their values, many that we share. We list theirs here and are working on ours (coming soon!):
- Recognizing that science touches the lives of every person on this planet;
- Advocating for a strong role of science in society;
- Identifying and acknowledging structural inequities and biases in science;
- Pushing for equality and standing up to inequality, discrimination, and aggression;
- Pushing to develop and strengthen access for traditionally underrepresented groups to fully participate in and become leaders in science;
- Supporting the education and careers of all scientists;
- Enhancing scientific mentorship and encouraging an atmosphere of collaboration;
- Stepping outside of our research disciplines to communicate our science and engage with the public;
- Using the language and wonder of science to bridge the divides that separate societies and to enhance global diplomacy.
Check out the interview with Maryam Zaringhalam
, a molecular biologist who describes herself as "floating at the intersection of art x science x society x advocacy x STEMinism".
She talks about her various interests and activities, and her insights as an Iranian-American on the recent travel ban. Great read!
Share on Facebook