Image Posted on Updated on
Check out the activities for each of the weeks in the links below. Online registration is required for the guided walks and children’s workshops:
Once again, FREE public guided nature walks at MacRitchie Forest that were started in response to the LTA’s announcement of the new Cross Island Line MRT. An environmental impact assessment (EIA) is currently being carried out by Environmental Resources Management (S) Pte Ltd and the EIA report is to be completed by next year.
Walks on the following dates:
- 15 Aug 2015 (Saturday) by Toddycats – http://lmwalk-15aug.eventbrite.sg
- 30 Aug 2015 (Sunday) by Toddycats – http://lmwalk-30aug.eventbrite.sg
- 12 Sep 2015 (Saturday) by Toddycats – http://lmwalk-12sep.eventbrite.sg
- 4 Oct 2015 (Sunday) by Toddycats – details coming soon
- 17 Oct 2015 (Saturday) by Toddycats – details coming soon
- 1 Nov 2015 (Sunday) by Toddycats – details coming soon
For more info: https://lovemacritchie.wordpress.com/love-macritchie-walks/
- 4 Oct 2014 (Saturday) – By BES Drongos. Petai Trail. http://www.eventbrite.sg/o/bes-drongos-7289706231
- 11 Oct 2014 (Saturday) – By Toddycats. Venus Loop. https://lmwalk-11oct.eventbrite.sg.
- 12 Oct 2014 (Saturday) – By BES Drongos. Petai Trail. http://www.eventbrite.sg/o/bes-drongos-7289706231
- 25 Oct 2014 (Saturday) – By Toddycats. Venus Loop. https://lmwalk-25oct.eventbrite.sg.
- 1 Nov 2014 (Saturday) – By BES Drongos. Petai Trail. http://www.eventbrite.sg/o/bes-drongos-7289706231
- 9 Nov 2014 (Sunday) – By BES Drongos. Petai Trail. http://www.eventbrite.sg/o/bes-drongos-7289706231
- 15 Nov 2014 (Saturday) – By BES Drongos. Petai Trail. http://www.eventbrite.sg/o/bes-drongos-7289706231
For more info: http://lovemacritchie.wordpress.com/love-macritchie-walks/
For those of you who want to be a volunteer guide at Singapore’s first Marine Park, sign up at the upcoming training sessions on 1-2 Oct and 7 – 8 Oct.
Who can join?
Training is open to
- Those 19 years and above.
- Able to easily get in and out of a boat and to walk about 1km.
- Participants must commit to guide 4 times in the coming 12 months at NParks public walks at the Sisters Islands Marine Park. Public walk dates will be made available in Nov 2014 and may not always be on a weekend.
- Training will be tailored to your needs. This is why we need you to fill up the registration form (http://tinyurl.com/SisGuideTrgOct2014). So that we can better customize the workshop to YOUR needs.
Training programme details
All classroom training on weekdays 6.30-10.30pm at the Singapore Botanic Gardens. (Detailed venue will be provided to those who register)
Day 1: 1 Oct (Wed) or 7 Oct (Tue)
- 15min Intro to the Marine Park, what it’s about, how it came about, what’s ahead (NParks)
- 15min Intro to marine habitats (Ria Tan, wildsingapore)
- Making a difference with your walk
- Dealing with ‘difficult’ visitors
Day 2: 2 Oct (Thu) or 8 Oct (Wed)
- 15min Intro to safety on the shores: safety of people and safety of reefs (Ria Tan, wildsingapore)
- 15min Intro to safe and successful ‘Seeking’ (Ria Tan, wildsingapore)
- Tricky guiding situations – Specially for new guides
- Dealing with ‘difficult’ visitors
Field trip: 12 Oct (Sun) 6-9pm (More details will be provided to those who register)
- Priority for the field trip given to those who attended Day 1 AND Day 2. Seats are limited.
- Each participant to prepare to talk about 5 things on the Die-die-sure-can-see list (to be provided to those who register).
- Start practicing stories from departure from mainland.
- Practice stories along the walk route.
- Field introduction to effective and safe ‘Seeking’.
The training programme is a collaboration among NParks, National Biodiversity Centre, November Tan (The Leafmonkey Workshop), Ria Tan (wildsingapore) and the volunteer guides of The Naked Hermit Crabs
20 September 2014, 10am – 12pm, Science Centre Singapore, Mendel Auditorium
Register by: Wed, 17 Sep 2014
Click here to RSVP! (Please indicate if you are vegetarian in the remarks column of the online registration form).
A 3 day workshop for new and existing nature guides with speakers Ria Tan and Vilma D’Rozario. Register early as spaces are limited to 20 persons per day!
Dates: 14-16 May 2014 (Wed-Fri)
Time: 7pm – 10.30pm
Please register at tinyurl.com/TLW-SOTAWorkshop by 9 May 2014.