The Toddycats need your help and Ubin needs more love!
You can volunteer with the Toddycats for their Pedal Ubin program or as an Exhibition Guide to talk about marine life, civets and otters. Sign up at tinyurl.com/toddycats-ubinday2015. A training workshop will be conducted on Sat 06 Jun 2015.
The URA has a survey on possible activities and areas to develop on Pulau Ubin. Vote for or come up with ideas to protect the biodiversity on the island.
To fill out the survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1maAlTynq–aTVwxHIdh7ZL_DQo2UIquICPAf0ejf5So/viewform?c=0&w=1
The Artists Village is conducting an open call for artists and non-artists to apply for the programme. Applicants are highly encouraged to propose projects relating to the environmental, natural and communal content on the island Pulau Ubin.
Provided for resident artists during their stay:
- Artists fee of SGD$500 and materials fee of SGD$200 per month (for a duration of 3-months with the flexibility of time)
- Accomodation and working studio on the island
- Basic working tools
- Bicycle for moving around on the island
- Mobile broadband Internet
- 12-Volts power supply (for charging up mobile phones and small laptops)
- Publicity for all events
- Assistance for exhibition set-up
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old. However, we do not accept applications from students regardless of age.
- Applicants must be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Applicants are given the flexibility to choose a duration that suits their project and personal schedule but are highly encouraged to commit for 3 months.
- This art residency strongly consists of a multi-disciplinary component and is not limited to visual artists only. We welcome artists and non-artists from any disciplines, such as dancers, musicians, art critics, writers, curators, environmentalists, scientists, etc.
- Selected artists will have the option to use materials found on the island.
- Resident artists are to present talk(s) and conduct a workshop during the period of the residency. They can present their final work in the form of an exhibition, performance or publication. The venue will be YOUR MOTHER GALLERY. However, resident artists can negotiate for other venues (subject to availability) to showcase their work.
- Applicants are to submit their residency proposal with all relevant materials via Email to us. Please see Residency application form.
- Please send your completed residency application via Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit all applications by 10 October 2014. Late submission will not be accepted.
For more info: http://www.tav.org.sg/artistsinresidency/opencall.html
Thank you Ria and November for very speedily putting together a report on Sunday’s discussion! Click on this link to read it:Imagine Ubin Report
And for those who couldn’t make it to the workshop (like me!), check out Ria’s Wild Shores blog post: Double dose of Ubin
The Artists Village is hosting two artists, BIBI (France) and Jason Lee (Singapore), from 08 April to 15 May 2014. Some of their previous artworks that have explored our relationship with our environment, in particular plastic waste:
BIBI’s Happy Croco installation “is made from everyday items that have been given a new lease of, and a most delightful, life”. (http://www.ilightmarinabay.sg/installation/happycroco/)
Jason Lee’s Born From the Wasted, a collaborative performance with Reef where “they investigate the relationship between waste and nature, and how humans play a critical role in them. The performance aims to question our awareness towards ecology when disposing our daily waste”. (http://www.jasonlee.sg/performance.html)
You are warmly invited to the soft opening party for the Pulau Ubin Artist-In-Residency Program on Sunday April 13 and meet the artists! Food and drinks will be provided.
Time: 1:00pm – 5:00pm
Venue: 36-1 Jalan Batu Ubin (Pulau Ubin)
Please see map link: http://www.tav.org.sg/artistsinresidency/location_map.html
Go to TAV house #1.
For enquiries, please call 91503592 (Jason) or 91667254 (Dennis)
Join this workshop to contribute to the future plans of Pulau Ubin.
Time: 9 am – 2 pm
Venue: Pulau Ubin
Speakers: Ria Tan (WildSingapore) and November Tan (Leaf Monkey)
8.30am – Registration on Pulau Ubin (Recommended to arrive at Changi Point Ferry Terminal around 8am)
9.00am – Short sharing by speakers
9.30am – Working visit around Pulau Ubin
11.00am – Lunch on Ubin (at your own expense)
12.00pm – Brainstorming session
2.00pm – End of Workshop
Please register at: http://tinyurl.com/ImagineUbin